It is a very common issue often faced by the users that they won’t able to open their files or folders after they turned into a shortcut. You are not able to access your data when you connect your external hard disk to your system. You might be thinking what is the problem and why all your files are converted into shortcuts?
Usually, users delete such shortcut files and removed from external hard disk. However, the best way is to use professional software to fix folders turned into shortcuts from hard drive.
Symptoms of Files When they Turned into Shortcuts
- The size of the files reduces like, the real size of the file might be in MBs or GBs but, after the files turned into shortcuts the size of the files is in KBs.
- Due to the files turned into shortcuts, sometimes disk becomes slow.
- The user cannot access the folder after converting it into a shortcut.
Best Ways to Fix Folders Turned Into Shortcuts from Hard Drive
In order to get back shortcut files from hard drive, we have explained manual as well as an automated solution. Just go through the whole article and at the last, you will get a reliable solution to restore shortcut files from external hard disk.
Way 1: Show Hidden Files to Get Back Shortcut Files From Hard Drive
You can try this method if your important data in external hard drive gets hidden or shortcuts. You can change the settings in file explorer options to fix folders turned into shortcuts from hard drive.
Perform the below steps:
- Select the start button and go to the control panel.
- Choose appearance and personalization options.
- Select File Explorer Options, and then choose to show hidden files and folders.
- Go to the view tab.
- Now, under advanced settings, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives and then hit on the OK button.
Way 2: Using Command Prompt
- Press Window+R and enter cmd to open the command prompt.
- Now, write attrib -h -r -s/ s/ d g:\*.*( here, letter g is the drive name so you can replace it).
- Press Enter and check your files are removed from the shortcut.
Note: The above methods are hit and trial approaches. It is not sure that your shortcut files will recover with these methods. The chances to fix folders turned into shortcuts from hard drive are very less.
Way 3: Automated Solution to Restore Shortcut Files from External Hard Disk
Just in the case, if your files are not recovered with the above mentioned manual methods. Then, you can prefer Shortcut File Recovery Software to resolve all your problems. This is the best solution to fix folders turned into shortcuts from hard drive. The tool contains advanced algorithms and most importantly, the user interface is so simple. Both technical and non-technical users can use this utility. It provides advanced scanning and preview options. And even restores bulk files in few clicks. Also, this tool is compatible with all versions of Windows OS.
Steps to Get Back Shortcut Files From Hard Drive
By following the below steps you can easily convert your shortcut files into original files:
- Download and install the tool in your system.
- Click on the SCAN option to fix the problem.
- Once, scanning is completed, you can preview the restored files or folders.
- Now, click on the SAVE button to extract the files which turned into shortcuts.
You can also visit the article, if you are looking for damage SSD drive recovery.
In this write-up, we explained both manuals as well as an automated solution to fix folders turned into shortcuts from hard drive. We Hope, you use the right solution to get back shortcut files from hard drive. As your data is precious, you will make the right choice.